Friday, November 19, 2004

Barbershop

Gotta' find a good barber shop in Reno.

In a world taken over by SuperCuts, Hair Cutterys, and BoRics a good barbershop is hard to find these days. This time of year I am reminded of the best barbershop I ever went to which was Jerry's on Irving Park.

Jerry was born in Mississippi and moved to Chicago start his barbering business. He took the remains of an old southside shop and moved it piece by piece up to his small northside location on Irving Park. All of the fixtures were original turn of the century include the spring back barber chairs with aqua colored enamel bases, the cabinets with white porcelain knobs and even a Barbasol machine that dispensed hot foam to shave one's neck and beard. The shop was the ideal space as it had room for two barber chairs and seating for 4 to 5 guys willing to wait for a haircut.

I started going to Jerrys shortly after moving to Chicago in early 1994. The first visit to the barbershop can be a little intimidating since all the clientele were on a first name basis with Jerry. Jerry was a big jazz fan and played everything from old Nat King Cole to modern jazz from Obert Davis and others. He would open about 6:30am in the morning and close around 2:00pm in the afternoon to make it down to the OTB to play the horses. Those who arrived at 6:30am were reward with no wait; while those who slept in knew that there would be a line of men waiting their turn for a trim. I saw elderly men and teenage kids, guys from the neighborhood and even a few from the suburbs all pass time in Jerry’s shop. Everyone was equal and Jerry called the shots.

Jerry, like all good barbers, worked differently then what you find in most chain shops. He rarely used electric clippers, instead preferring steady hands and sharp scissors. When you sat in the chair usually the first step was to firmly grasp your head and tilt it forward or back until your chin paralleled the tile floor. Jerry would go to work pacing himself with the mellow jazz rhythms; Making conversation if the room called for it, or keeping quiet if everyone was self absorbed (as often happens when getting a haircut). At the end of the cut, Jerry slathered on hot lather from the Barbasol machine and used a straight razor to whisk away the fuzz from your neck. For those who were waiting Jerry got a great selection of magazines. Military History, National Geographic, and The Economist made the shop feel a step above the commonplace. Pure, male bliss...

Several years ago I went to visit Jerry on a winter day in the week between Christmas and New Years. The Northside was empty and I had the day off from work thus it was a perfect time to walk down the block to get a haircut. Jerry immediately recognized me and took my my scarf and jacket to hang up on on his coat rack. Next he offered me a little holiday cheer from a fifth of Bushmills that someone had dropped off at the shop as a gift. I declined but the offer brought a smile to my face that I had a barber who appreciated the finer things in life. Shortly thereafter, a small note appeared in the windows of a closed shop.

"Wife of 42 years has passed. Shop is closed, Thanks, Jerry"

Jerry’s shop stayed closed well into the spring, when one morning I noticed the lights on and Jerry puttering around. I stopped into say hello and express my condolences. A few weeks before Ting had gotten a sympathy card which we had slid through the brass mail slot on the door. It felt a little strange getting a card for my barber who I only knew on a first name basis. It looks like Jerry had gotten quite a few other cards over the winter and had a pile of them on a chair in the corner. I asked him if he was planning to open up again. Jerry explained that he was moving up to Minnesota to keep an eye on his aging father. I then knew well enough that he was moving to escape the sorrow and memories of the shop he had owned for so long. Shortly thereafter a realty sign appeared in the window and Jerry's shop was absorbed by the day care center next door. An era had ended.

I'm not sure why I typed this up. Maybe it is just holding on to memories of Chicago, or the solemn mourning of a dying profession. I DO know that I'm very appreciative of a good haircut these days and believe that the world could use a few more businesses like Jerry's. God bless...

No comments: