Thursday, February 24, 2005

Lingo

You know what's cool? Zoe's got her own lingo. Sometimes when she's looking in a glass of milk or a blue plastic Nalgene bottle she'll call it her "tank". She knows how to ask for a cup of water or a glass of juice, but sometimes she'll peer into the liquid and refer to it as her tank, just like a tank of fish!

I don't know about you but I kind of miss that special lingo you had when you were a kid. You know...the words you had before you entered the world of formal grown up speak. Recently I've been in contact with a high school friend named Jeff Babe. Jeff's cousin Rob would sometimes say "corn" if he saw something cool or impressive. He’d just blurt it out "CORN". We were all teenagers and I don't think Rob or anyone else had heard the term "can of corn" (If you ever listen to a White Sox Radio broadcast you’re bound to hear Ed Farmer use the term at least once in nine innings). Anyways kid lingo is good stuff.

I've been reading like a madman lately. I'd like to give my thoughts on all these books but things have been way too hectic with moving, selling the condo, and buying a house in Reno. Here's the reading list lately:

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk
The Other Side: Journeys in Baja California
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
A Season in Turmoil
Against All Enemies
Dude, Where's My Country?
Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities
Devil in the White City
Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180
Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age
The Kite Runner
Crossing California
Boyos: A Novel

Geeze... Reading has been a pretty addictive release. The best analogy for this reading spurt I can think of is a cross country road trip. Most people sitting in the passenger seat fall asleep with the hum of the tires and the lack of stimulation. When I'm in that position I just keep staring out the window checking out the scenery. There's so much to take in and so little time to do it. Hopefully Zoe will look at the world that way.

I'll have more time to write on the blog once we get moved in and get set up with an Internet connection. In the meantime keep us in your thoughts.

No comments: