Sunday, July 03, 2005

Climbing Gieger Grade

I am not a climber. Climbers are short skinny guys like Heras and Mayo. They fly up the mountains of the Tour, the Giro, and the Vuelta at speeds I could only hope to replicate on flat ground. I am 5' 11" and weigh in at 185 lbs. To climb like Armstrong I would need to lose 27 lbs. It ain't gonna happen.

But since moving to Reno, I've got the opportunity to pretend I'm a climber. Over the last few weeks I've been tied up most weekends. Thus when the July 4th holiday presented an opportunity for some extended time on the bike I took it.

The picts below are from Gieger Grade. It is probably one of the most popular climbs for local pros and cycling fanatics. Rumor has it that a kid named Greg LeMond used to train on Gieger before getting courted by a Euro cycling team to go race in Europe as a teenager. Starting in Reno at approximately 4ooo feet the climb is a series of searing desert switchbacks up over Gieger Summet at 6789 feet. From there my plan was to ride to the old mining town cum tourist trap Virginia City. VC was once larger and more prosperous then San Francisco. The town is surrounded by nearly 150 years of constant gold, silver, and copper mining that is still going on today (abeit at a much smaller scale). Ever heard of the Comstock Lode? That's what built VC. That and some newspaper man named Mark Twain that got his start in VC.

Anyways enough with the idle chatter. Here's the picts... Enjoy!


Looking across south Reno towards the Virginia Range

Wild horses inhabit this area

The very start of the climb getting up over some houses in the Virginia Foothills

Not much paved shoulder to work with (Note the road crossing back at the higher elevation)

Getting higher now. Look at this guys driveway

Looking back at my progress... The desert is still green after a snowy winter

Another view from a mile up the road

Over the top!

VC welcome sign. The town is a 6200 ft.

Downtown VC is quiet on a Sunday morning.

A mining baron mansion overlooking the claim that made them rich.

The VC boardwalk. By this time I've ridden 25 miles (mostly uphill) and have stopped to have a Clif Bar.

Lots of iron horse cowboys in this town

No shots descending Gieger Grade but I'm on the homestretch Posted by Picasa

No comments: