Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Wild Horses

The deal fell through...

The people who signed the contract on our condo backed out several weeks ago so our place is back on the market. To further add insult to injury our contract was already at our lawyer being reviewed when they backed out. Now we have to pony up some money to cover our legal fees on the deal. Argh! If you happen to be reading this and know anyone looking to move into Lakeview then let Ting or myself know (although avoid showing them this blog!).

Ting and Zoe did come out for a good week and a half during the start of September. I never thought it would feel so good to see my family. While I have been leading quite the bachelor life lately hitting coffee shops, looking at tattoos and all; it was pretty exciting to know that Ting and Zoe were coming for a visit. I knew I’d have to spruce up the old apartment to prepare for their visit. Away went the Thermorest mattress and sleeping bag I had been using for the past month. In its place, a new Sealy mattress and box spring straight from the Mattress Land warehouse. The various bike tools and parts scattered around the living room were put away to prevent greasy little fingers. Finally, I made a quite trip to Albertsons to buy bananas, yogurt, and other Zoe-based food.

Zoe seemed to really love it out here. She exerted her strong independence at the apartment pool by gingerly dipping her toes in then standing on the first step, and eventually the second step.

“All by myself!” she screamed when I floated over to help her out.

Later in the week we took Zoe up to Tahoe and had her hike down to the waters edge by scrambling from boulder to boulder. There were a few small lizards sunning themselves on the rocks and Zoe immediately decided it would be a good idea to pet them.

“Where’d they go Daddy? They’re too fast!”

Ting and I just laughed as Zoe tried to pet the lizards only to find that they quickly scrambled into the cracks and crevices.

Anyways Ting and Zoe went back last Thursday and I’m back to my humble existence. This past weekend I rode the bike out through Palomino Valley north of Reno. Nevada has more wild horses then any state in the nation due to the huge wilderness areas within the state. It’s not uncommon for people living on the outskirts of town to have wild horses grazing in their back yard not unlike deer in the Midwest. As I pedaled along I passed the National Wild Horse and Burro Center. There were hundreds of horses galloping along within their fenced-off study area. I did 56 miles in the hot sun that day; riding through some beautiful desert land. While the ride was satisfying, it would be much more satisfying if I could come home to my wife and daughter.

Hopefully soon...

No comments: