Thursday, August 19, 2004

Church of Donuts

Last Sunday while out on the house hunt I decided to take a pit-stop at a suburban Reno Krispy Kreme. After playing dumb at the counter and getting a hot newly glazed donut, I ordered a couple of filled donuts and a medium coffee. Sitting down with the Sunday housing classifieds and my sugary breakfast I noticed a table of 20 something kids with bibles yacking away at the table kiddy corner from me.

Within 10 minutes several more groups showed up with bibles in hand. They all looked to be college aged kids and had no other distinguishing features beyond the bibles they were carrying. Next thing I know a guy in his early 50’s shows up, bible in hand, and sits down with his group of parishioners. This preacher had on a western style green blazer, a cowboy hat, and shiny cowboy boots. He bore a strong resemblance to Billy Bob Thorton…

Now that the preacher had arrived they began to pull together tables and start to pray. I was feeling pretty strange watching all of this and noticed the other Krispy Kreme customers were also starting to become aware of the group. After a short group prayer the preacher started reading from the bible and discussing "God’s intended meaning..." and "What Christians believe...". Needless to say, I was pretty astounded…

Obviously there’s a whole lot of issues going on here.

Why is an old guy preaching to a bunch 20 something kids?

Where are the kid’s families?

Is this a cult?

Why are they holding their service in a public place?

How does Krispy Kreme feel about religious ceremonies in their lobby? Especially since only a few of the kid’s actually had bought donuts?

What about the customers who now don’t have a place to sit since five tables are now taken by the church group?

Would you confront this group?

I offer no answers, only the story and some questions. All and all, a very strange morning for me.

No comments: