Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Reno Observations - Friendly?

The western US is definitely different from the Midwest. With that in mind, I'd like to point out a few observations of the differences between Chicagoans and Renoites.

Whoa! The first thing I noticed was that people were friendly out here. Certainly more friendly then I was used to after eleven years of living in Chicago. On my first visit to Albertson’s Grocery store I was confronted by the happiest checkout guy I’d ever seen.

Checkout guy - “How are you doing today sir? (looking interested)”
Steve – “Huh?”
Checkout guy – “Did you find what you needed today? (large grin)”
Steve – “Umm… Yeah”
Checkout guy – “It sure is hot out there! Don’t let your ice cream melt. (chuckle)”
Steve – “yeah okay”

Steve – “I just moved here… How do I get one of those Albertson discount cards?”
Checkout guy – “Well Well…welcome to Reno! I can certainly help you out with that! Fill out this form and return it back to me! (looking excited)”
Steve – “great (rushing to the exit door)”
Checkout guy – “have a great day Mr. Hammond (remembering name from my receipt)”

This exchange gave me a flashback to Steve Martin in My Blue Heaven. In Chicago the checkout people look like they’re on work duty from the local prison. It’s hard to imagine getting too excited about a part time job at minimum wage with no benefits. In Chicago, you’d better know how to work the credit/debit keypad or you’re sure to raise the ire of the checkout guy, no less the people in line behind you.

I also experienced this strange friendliness while driving (people wave at you when you cut them off), riding my bike (people smile at your sweat laden face when stopped at a light), and walking down the sidewalk (people say hello and freely sidestep out of the way).

No comments: