Thursday, August 12, 2004

Tattoos

Reno has to be the tattoo capital of the US. Never before have I seen so much design on so much skin (and you see a lot more skin out here due to the warm weather). Example - last week I saw a tattoo on a woman in formal business attire (at my favorite place Albertsons, no less). Some type of scrollwork down the back of her leg. Another example, There’s a girl in my apartment complex who can’t be more then 15 or 16 y.o. with a large red tattoo over most of her lower back. I’m not sure what the design is but I think she’s Marcus’s older sister (see prior blog entry about the pool).

The other day a 20-something girl came into our office to ask about a manufacturing job. One of our guys from production came out and spoke with her. The first words out of her mouth were "I like that tattoo! I had a similar one but had it burned off recently!". This launched into a discussion about the pain of getting a tattoo vs. the pain of removing a tattoo. What a way to start the interview process.

And not to give you the idea that I’m only noticing women with tattoos; I’ve seen many men with tattoos, as well. These are all normal looking guys NOT biker types with Harley’s and leather jackets…

In fact, I’d say it’s a rarity to see anyone out here WITHOUT a tattoo. Admittedly, I feel like a minority in my un-inked, plain, pasty skin out here. Maybe its time to get that anchor on my bicep or the serpent around my ankle (Probably before Ting gets out here)…

No comments: