Friday, August 13, 2004

Offer and a dinner

Woo Hoo! We got an offer on our condo in Chicago. Hopefully this will be the start of the process to get Ting, Zoe, and I reunited in Reno! I miss them terribly despite the decadent bachelor lifestyle I have been living (hanging out at Albertsons and all)...

After discussing the offer with Ting last night I decided that a celebration meal was in order; something beyond the normal fast food I was used to. Close to my apartment there is a small coffeeshop, Waldens, that serves sandwiches and other light meals. They are known for live music and alway seemed busy so I thought I would check out the local scene. Walking up the coffee shop I was confronted by a teenager with a 10” Mohawk haircut, dressed in the standard disenchanted youth outfit: Black jeans, combat boots, and an Exploited t-shirt (can anyone actually say that they’ve heard a tune by he Exploited?). I felt pretty confident walking in with my polo shirt, khaki shorts, and un-tattooed skin…

Inside I was surprised to find an interesting cross-section of culture. There were middle-aged families having dinner, 20-something slacker college students drinking coffee, and of course, a couple tables of disenchanted youth who were waiting for the band to start playing. I ordered a ham and swiss on sourdough and took it all in. The band was a folk/rock act with a female lead singer. The cool part about the act was that a couple family members where there to watch her perform and she even invited a young (5-6 y.o.) girl to come up and sing with her. Once again, I felt pretty hip reading a book, enjoying my sandwich, and listening to live music.

I hung out for an hour getting free refills on iced tea until I knew I'd better head home. Walking out I noticed the coffee shop had WiFi access. I wonder what Thoreau would have thought about wireless internet, electric guitars and punks hanging out with yuppies... Maybe the coffee shop didn't take it's name from the pond...

No comments: